ANNOUNCED: This year's tree jumper theme has been revealed
LISTEN up knitters, crocheters and crafters, this year's Jumpers and Jazz in July tree jumper theme has been revealed!
Warwick Art Gallery has announced the theme for this year will be CONNECT.
This will be the sixteenth year the Tree Jumper Exhibition will be held as part of Warwick's quirkiest event, Jumpers and Jazz in July.
Entries come from near and far to dress up trees around Warwick CBD to transform the city into a bright and beautiful creative wonderland.
Here are a few key dates if you're planning to take part in this year's competition:
- March 29: Tree Jumper registrations close for Warwick CBD businesses
- May 3: All other registrations close
- March 29-May 24: Trees are allocated and participants notified
- July 17: Trees will be set up
- July 18: The 2019 festival begins
- July 19: Judging of CBD street trees
- July 23: Judging of school grounds trees
Winners of the yarn bombing competition will be announced at Jazz @ the Gallery on Saturday July 20 at noon.
These are the categories available to enter:
- Section 1: Open Entry $500
No specified theme or set materials.
- Section 2: Excellence in Knitting and/or Crochet $500
No theme. Entry must be created using mainly knitting or crochet or a combination of both.
- Section 3: Theme Challenge $500
Create a tree jumper inspired by the word CONNECT.
- Section 4: Hall of Fame $500
This award will be presented to an entrant who has excelled in the art of yarn bombed tree jumper creation.
- Best community group entry in the official tree jumper competition award
Not for profit community groups and schools will be eligible for this award when they tick the box on the entry form.
- Decorated school trees in school grounds award
Schools are encouraged to decorate the trees in their grounds inspired by the word FEAST.
The exhibition judges for 2019 will be Brisbane textile artists Kate Oszko and Helen McIntosh
Jumpers and Jazz in July will run from July 18 to 28.