CAROLS IN THE PARK: What you need to know
FAMILIES and festive music fans will be in for something a little different at the 2018 Rose City Shoppingworld Carols in the Park.
Instead of being held at the Leslie Park rotunda, the musicians, singers and dancers will perform on a temporary stage near WIRAC.
Musical director Erin Hilton said it was a much-needed change.
"In past years the girls had to dance in the dark on the grass in front of the rotunda,” Mrs Hilton said.
"Those girls practise so hard and I wanted to give them enough space to do their thing.
"We've got more dancers this year, we'll actually have three dancing acts.”
One dancing act will involve 16 young women from The Dance Centre - Warwick moving around the stage with Santa Claus.
There will be more food vendors this year, with 13 stalls to set up shop around the park.
There will also be a free jumping castle and face-painting.
The event will start about 5pm on Sunday with the Warwick City Band and Warwick Choral Society belting out a few warm-up numbers.
This will be followed by a group performance in which every singer will give a rendition of Feliz Navidad.
The singers will break for a series of individual performances before Mayor Tracy Dobie gives a brief Christmas greeting.
Santa will be ferried to the stage in a fire truck about 6.45pm-7pm.
This will be a brief appearance on stage and Santa will not be available to take photos or hand out gifts.
The singing will resume with additions from MC Marco Gliori.
"He'll do a little snippet between the segments,” Mrs Hilton said.
"He's really good, really funny, so people will love it.”
Fan favourite Melissa Reid is back again.
"She hasn't performed for a number of years,” Mrs Hilton said.
"We're very excited to have her back in the line-up.
"She's doing some country stuff, I'll Be Home with Bells On, that's a Dolly Parton and a Kenny Rogers number.
"The other one is a beautiful song called, How Great Thou Art.
"It's not quite a Christmas song but there's been lots of requests from lots of people to sing that song.”
The festivities will run from 5pm to 8pm.
Entry is free and song books will be distributed at the park.
Carols in the Park program:
GET set for a big night of joyous singing and soulful praise as the community joins together for the annual Rose City Shoppingworld Carols in the Park on Sunday.
The event is billed as one of the biggest on record with extra acts, stalls and activities.
If you have children, be sure to deck them out in their finest festive gear as the organisers will hand out prizes for the best dressed.
- 4.15-5pm: Warm up with Warwick Choral Society and Warwick City Band.
- 5pm: MC welcome followed by Feliz Navidad, Jingle Bells/Rudolph medley, Six White Boomers
- 5.20pm: Mayor's address.
- 5.25: It's Beginning to Look A Lot like Christmas, Holly Jolly Christmas, Santa Claus Is Coming To Town, Deck The Halls, MC poem with Marco Gliori, Please Come Home For Christmas, Away In A Manger, Winter Wonderland.
- 5.56pm: Blessing from Rev David Bailey.
- 6pm: Oh Come All Ye Faithful, Angels We Have Heard On High, We Need a Little Christmas, Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, Groovy Christmas.
- 6.25pm: Best dressed children competition judging and awards.
- 6.30pm: Silver Bells, Drummer Boy, The First Noel, Here Comes Santa Claus.
- 6.44pm: Santa arrives.
- 7pm: Blue Christmas, It's the Most Wonderful Time Of The Year, Mary Do You Know, Rocking Around The Christmas Tree, Mary's Boy Child, Happy Christmas.
- 7.20pm: MC poem with Marco Gliori.
- 7.30pm: Jingle Bell Rock, Hark The Herald Angels Sing, The Christmas Song, All I Want For Christmas, I'll Be Home With Bells On, How Great Thou Art, Silent Night, O Holy Night.
- 7.55pm: We Wish You A Merry Christmas, group song.
- 8pm: MC farewell with Marco Gliori.