Southern Downs Council spends big on roads
MOTORISTS of the Southern Downs will have a smoother drive through 2016 after the council was successful in obtaining its biggest yearly road budget ever.
Southern Downs Regional Council applied for a range of grants and funds from both the sate and federal governments and was successful in obtaining more than $9 million to put towards roads across the region.
An additional $4.35 million was allocated under Council's Capital Works program budget.
Overall the council will spend more than $13 million on roads between now and June 2016.
Southern Downs Regional Council director engineering services Peter See said the works wouldn't be possible without the government funding.
Projects include resealing and resheeting roads, reconstructions and bridge replacements.
Deputy Mayor Ross Bartley said he was glad to see money going towards gravel sheeting.
"It's pretty tough times at the moment and the dry weather can make it hard to keep our gravel roads together," he said.
"If you live in the rural, there's not much else you get apart from the gravel road."
Mr See said the funding gave the council the ability to improve roads without unduly impacting rate funds. "If rate funds were the only funds available the road construction budget would be very much reduced," he said.
"Some roads are funded by the State Government under the Transport Infrastructure Development Scheme program."
Projects are set to be finished by June 30, 2016.
Projects and 2015-16 road budget
- Resealing bitumen roads - $1,050,000
- Re-sheeting gravel roads - $1,200,000
- Old Stanthorpe Road Widening - $200,000
- Upper Wheatvale Rd Widen and Rehabilitan -$350,000
- Anemone St Reconstruct west end -$820,000
- Emu Swamp Rd Widen and rehabilitate -$1,098,000
- Lyndhurst Lane Bridge replace - $2,760,000
- Mullins Rd Bridge Replace (Womina) - $604,600
- Bellingham Rd Bridge replacement - $667,077
- Sandy Creek Rd Bridge Replace - $1,176,686
- Tummaville Rd Bridge Replace - $1,071,638
- 101510 - Black spot Nundabbermere Rd - $183,000