Fr Rod MacGinley unveils the plaque at the Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Deuchar, 100th anniversary celebrations on Saturday.
Fr Rod MacGinley unveils the plaque at the Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Deuchar, 100th anniversary celebrations on Saturday. Gerard Walsh

Five priests at Deuchar for centenary of church

A CROWD of 150 was at the Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Deuchar, centenary on Saturday.

The celebration was 100 years to the day from when the church was opened by Archbishop James Duhig in 1919.

On Saturday, it was pointed out the white bricks for the church came by rail and it is believed some of the spare bricks were used for a shrine in the grounds of St Patrick's Church and school at Allora.

The centenary cake was cut by Fr Don Murray who was parish priest for two decades, and long-time parishioner Gloria Bradfield.

Mass was concelebrated by Fathers Rod MacGinley, Terry Hickling, Franco Filipetto, Fr Jamie Collins and Fr Murray.

Fr Collins has had family in the area for a century and travelled from Roma for the celebrations.

Michael Dwan also spoke at the reunion in relation to his family donating the land for the church adding "other families may have given all that they had to the construction of the church”.

Fr MacGinley said the drought broke soon after the church was opened in 1919 and he was hoping for similar drought-breaking rains in 2019.

A history written by Narelle Henry was on sale for $10 with history about a church affectionally known as "the little church on the hill”. Copies of the book can be obtained by calling Mrs Henry on 46674724