Warwick Tackle and Tusk was broken-into over the weekend with thieves taking about $7000 worth of stock and cash.
Warwick Tackle and Tusk was broken-into over the weekend with thieves taking about $7000 worth of stock and cash. Samantha O'Neil

Police investigate break-in at Warwick Tackle and Tusk

THIEVES have dealt a low blow to Warwick business owner Jason Tattam after a brazen break-in at the weekend.

The Warwick Tackle and Tusk store on Wood St was broken into overnight on Saturday.

The store is located in the BP complex with the two neighbouring business left untouched.

Mr Tattam said a staff member arrived at the store Sunday morning to find the shop in disarray.

The thieves forced entry to the story and disabled the store's security cameras.

"They stopped the cameras at 2.14am Sunday morning," Mr Tattam said.

The business owner said he believed the offenders to be young, given the items stolen, and confirmed no ammunition had been stolen.

"There was someone a couple of weeks ago that came into the shop, and looked like he was checking the place out. We have it on the video footage," he said.

Mr Tattam said there was a suspect and police had taken fingerprints and a footprint from the scene.

"There was around about $7,000 worth of stock and cash taken," he said.

"Some of the stock I had ordered in especially for Christmas was taken, and can't be replaced before Christmas.

"The money for the fishing permits was also taken, the till, as well as fishing reels, knives, (an archery) bow, sunglasses and a trail camera.

"One item broken by the thieves had been put aside for a customer and it is too late to replace it before Christmas."

While insurance will cover the cost of the stock taken, Mr Tattam will be out of pocket for the cash stolen.

He said several cabinets and a stand were damaged, as well as some stock and other sections of the store.

"There is no doubt this will have an impact," he said.

"It could have been a lot worse though. I expected to come in and find everything destroyed.

"Luckily once the police were finished we were able to get in and get it cleaned up quickly so we could carry on."

Mr Tattam said this was the first time the store had been targeted and he hoped the offenders would be caught.

"We've been here for a bit over five years and have had no problems before," he said.

Warwick Police officer in charge Jamie Deacon said enquiries were continuing.

"The break-in occurred sometime between 4.15pm on the 19th and 6.55am on the 20th," Senior Sergeant Deacon said.

"The offenders gained entry into the roof cavity and cut the phone lines, taking a variety of items and cash from the store."

Anyone with information should phone Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or Warwick police on 4660 4444.