Hamish Stewart (left) of the Reds celebrates with teammate Adam Korczyk after scoring a try.
Hamish Stewart (left) of the Reds celebrates with teammate Adam Korczyk after scoring a try. DARREN ENGLAND

WATCH: Reds stun Brumbies in bizarre fog game

FIVE days after Jeff Horn electrified a near full house in the sun at the same Suncorp Stadium, the Reds waited until full-time in the fog to throw their knockout punch.

For 70 minutes of this match, the Reds were tryless and looked headed for another of those excruciating might-have-been nights where errors killed the cause.

A weird thing happened in the white-out.

The Reds shed their anxiety in tight finishes and plucked a 16-15 win over the Brumbies with a 13-0 run in those dramatic, final minutes.

Flyhalf Quade Cooper had been a villain for much of the night before delivering the penalty goal on full-time that broke a run of five losses to the Reds' biggest bogey team.

That final opportunity was all set up by the sheer willpower and leg drive of young winger Izaia Perese who burst on to a Cooper inside ball and drew a penalty under the posts when Brumbies defender Andrew Smith infringed trying to stop him.

Reds win late in fog: Queensland stuns Brumbies

It was a wonderful glimpse of the Reds' future because Australian under-20s teammate Hamish Stewart, just 19, punched over from fullback for the telling strikeback try in the 71st minute off a George Smith inside ball.

The 25 fans who walked out of the ground with 20 minutes to go did not want to even be counted in the poor crowd figure of 13,264 such was their disgust.

At that stage, the Reds were tryless, 15-6 behind and down to 14 men because George Smith was in the sin bin for collapsing a maul that earned the Brumbies a penalty try.

What had looked a sour farewell for so long became a smiling, leaping celebration as Reds players engulfed Rob Simmons after a worthy sign-off at his home ground.


Karmichael Hunt of the Reds is tackled during the round 16 Super Rugby match between the Queensland Reds and the Brumbies at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane, Friday, July 7, 2017 (AAP Image/Darren England) NO ARCHIVING, EDITORIAL USE ONLY
Karmichael Hunt of the Reds is tackled during the round 16 Super Rugby match against the Brumbies at Suncorp Stadium. DARREN ENGLAND

Simmons stepped up with a strong game as flanker and lock and even added a flick pass to his running, tackling and intent as Frank Ivory Medallist as indigenous round man-of-the-match.

Fog is Cooper's kryptonite because there was nothing else to explain his poorest 70 minutes of the season before he came to life.

After two poor passes early, he put kicks out on the full, spilt a high ball, had a kick charged down and will curse what could have been the biggest moment of the game at the 54-minute mark.

When Cooper retrieved a kick through by the Brumbies, he was herded over the tryline in a strong Tom Banks tackle.

Cooper never got to ground the ball for a 5m scrum such was the flipping off the Banks tackle, the ball squirted loose and centre Kyle Godwin dotted down for a 15-6 lead.

Early on, the fog couldn't close in quickly enough because it would have prevented diehard fans watching the error-prone opening 20 minutes.

The Brumbies will be worried by injuries to flanker Chris Alcock (gashed thigh) and winger Aidan Toua (leg).

Kiwi referee Brendon Pickerill stole nearly 10 minutes from the game with his painfully slow setting and judgment of scrums.