WISHLIST: Community flags 43 must-have council projects
A NEW SES shed and buying a diesel locomotive for the Southern Downs Steam Railway Association are two of the 43 items residents want included in the 2019-20 Southern Downs Regional Council Budget.
Councillors have held community consultation sessions across the district over the past two months, following the release of a draft budget on March 13.
Mayor Tracy Dobie formally received the residents' suggestions at a meeting on May 2 but said not all requests would make the cut.
"Not all of those submissions are applicable to the budget itself," she said.
"But the process generated some submissions that will be dealt with outside the budget process."
This included a submission to move the Warwick SES headquarters to Alice St.
Cr Dobie said it was a good idea but the SES was jointly funded by the council and the Queensland Government, so the request did not suit the budget.
"SES has been looking for a new facility," she said.
"They are in two locations either side of the Condamine River and have to move back and forward with their equipment.
"That is being funded by a separate program and we are looking at consolidating them into one location."
Regardless, Cr Dobie welcomed the community feedback.
The council will assess the submission before it releases a final budget on June 3.
Other items include
- Funding for aircraft tie-down cables for the Stanthorpe Aerodrome.
- Funding for fish stocking in the Condamine River, its tributaries and Dalrymple Creek.
- Funding for Warwick Art Gallery.
- An upgrade of Pratten St, Warwick.
- Widening of Canningvale Rd, Warwick.
- Funding for 14 river crossings at Cambanoora Gorge, Condamine River Rd.
- Funding for new indoor court spaces in Stanthorpe.
- Funding for Stanthorpe Art Gallery.
- Funding for road and pathway maintenance on New England Highway between Blue Topaz and Severnlea State School and grass cutting on Reid Rd.
- Funding for water resources officer role.
- Funding for sealing of Old Stanthorpe Rd between Dalveen and Warwick and funding for sealing of unsealed roads in Maryvale.
- Funding for Southern Downs Steam Railway Association Inc to purchase DH diesel locomotive and a second steam locomotive.
- Water Infrastructure for the Southern Downs Region.
- Use of vacant council land for Community Bike Skills Park.
- Sponsorship for Warwick Jumpers and Jazz in July.
- Funding to repair tree root damage at Warwick Tennis Association Courts.
- Funding for town water supply in Wallangarra
- Funding for regular maintenance and improvements to the Memorial Park at Allora
- Seal Jubb Rd
- Promote tourism in Allora.
- Upgrade footpath at Sue Cowley Park and Stuart Henry Park.
- Off-leash dog park in Stanthorpe.
- Funding from SDRC to support operational costs of Granite Belt Wine and Tourism.
- Additional funding from SDRC for the Wild Dog Barrier Fence and request for further funding for the aerial baiting program.
- Changes to wording of draft budget - three submissions received.
- Funding for relocation of Warwick SES to Alice St, Warwick.
- Request for Funding for Warwick Thistle Pipe Band to represent at the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo concert in Sydney October 2019
- Various budget considerations for the Allora Community
- Sealing of Dunns Rd, Barnes Rd, Slade St, Watts St and Allan St.
- Mowing of public areas in Maryvale
- Various budget considerations for Stanthorpe region